Saturday, August 14, 2010

In Limbo.

My life has rolled into, what I like to call, a "transitional period." It's a euphemism really. I feel completely in limbo - it's like I'm waiting for something, but I'm not sure what that something is. I feel like I'm not doing enough. I'm twenty. Twenty. I feel as if I need to be doing more. More, more, more. I feel like everyone else my age is doing so much more than me - living on their own, doing meaningful things such as volunteering and holding leadership positions, interning. And all I'm doing is skimming by school and working. That's why I've made it my goal to start volunteering - anywhere and everywhere. I want to be apart of something bigger than myself. I want to be involved in something important and meaningful. Something that will make me a better person. To be honest, I feel like I've been slacking. Just doing the bare minimum of what I need to do in order to be a successful human being. I know I'm hard on myself but it's something that I know will never change about me. I'm hard on myself because I need to be - otherwise, I would never get anything done. Never go above and beyond. Future-wise, I've been thinking a lot about what I'm going to do after graduation. It's really starting to weigh on my mind. That's not very far off. And I've yet to decide which route I want to go down. Get my credentials (if teaching is the route I choose)? Go straight back to school and get my Master's? Join the Air Force? Go on a spontaneous adventure, volunteer in the Peace Corps? Teach English abroad in South Korea? There's so many directions my life can take me, and although I'd love to just run off and join the Peace Corps it's highly unlikely that will happen. First, I have to start paying off my student loans. It's not like I can run off to Latin America or Africa with debt trailing behind me. Of course, if I'm going to be a teacher, I have to get my credentials before anything...but I've been really thinking about joining the Air Force. It's always been a good option. Smart. Stable. Practical. Right away, I'd be getting an income. Be able to manage my loans, and get a head start on my adult life. It would provide housing. New experiences. And hopefully I'd be able to be stationed in South Korea. Besides the Air Force, another viable option would be taking a year off and teaching English in South Korea. I've always wanted to do this, and it would be the perfect timing to do such a thing. When else in life am I going to have the time/opportunity? The time to decide what I'm going to do is winding down. I just hope I make the right choices when it comes down to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment