Tuesday, May 5, 2009

THE COOL KIDS and Cinco de Mayo.


Today I downloaded The Cool Kids' debut album, "Gone Fishing," a 21-track compilation of mad beats and smooth rhymin' - all for the wondrous price of absolutely...FREE! You can do the same at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZAL31UHJ. I was ecstatic upon hearing news of a free album by the catchy-as-a-pop-song Cool Kids, a personal favorite rap duo. Lord knows I've only been waiting an entire year for it. Not only does the new album include one of my favorite songs, "Pennies," the updated remix, but the song "Gold Links" spits the words or, rather, word "riff-raff." You have to be pretty damn awesome to incorporate the word "riff-raff" in a style as peanut buttery smooth as Mickey Rocks and Chuck Inglish manage to do within a poignantly hip hop sound. The greatest thing is that they're going to be at UCSB's Extravaganza '09 - check it!

Other than my genuine joy of having downloaded "Gone Fishing," today is Cinco de Mayo, a.k.a. another excuse to throw a party and get wasted. I think it's more celebrated by white people than Mexicans by the looks of it at my school. I've seen at least two people sport a sombrero just on my way back from class as well as a handful of what my friend Leslie refers to as "Eskihoes" (booty short, Ugg wearing gals) drunk off their asses. I think it's funny that in Mexico they hardly celebrate Cinco de Mayo, if at all, and it gets so much hype here. They celebrate on September 16, which is Mexico's actual Independence Day. What other explanation can there be for Cinco de Mayo besides the mass sale of chips, salsa, tequila and an excuse to say we celebrate Mexican diversity in the U.S. so that we don't look like racist assholes?

I say we at least switch the date of celebration to a time when school is not in session, or Mexico's true Independence Day. That way I don't have to deal with these idiots parading around in sombreros making a racket about how drunk they're going to get tonight (or already are) and have to complain about how nauseous people here make me.

All I can say is thank-you Cool Kids!

I'm going to add to this by saying that the grandiose Oprah is giving away free KFC coupons valid for two pieces of grilled chicken, two sides, and two biscuits. Don't ask me why, just go to oprah.com and print it out. Ask questions later.

No comments:

Post a Comment